35 ml Good Quality White Wine Vinegar (*I prefer Serena White Wine Vinegar)
6 Peppercorns, Black
1 Small Bay leaf
1 Piece of Mace
Cook Together over Bain Marie:
2 Egg Yolks, Extra Large
125 ml Melted Butter, Salted
¼ t Salt
¼ t Pepper (I prefer Ground Black Pepper)
- Infuse the Vinegar and Flavouring Agents and reduce to a third. Strain and set aside.
- Whisk the Egg Yolks + one teaspoon of Melted Butter over a Bain Marie (Double Boiler with a little bit of hot water in the bottom pot) and add the Infused Vinegar.
- Cook until pale and starting to thicken.
- Take off the heat.
- While beating constantly, slowly add the Melted Butter little bit by little bit until it is all incorporated and the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Season with Salt and Pepper. Taste to see if the sauce is tangy enough, and if not, add a dash of Lemon Juice and beat in immediately.
NB: To ‘reheat’ or ‘rescue’ the sauce, add one Tablespoon of Hot Cream or Hot Water and beat into the sauce. Serve immediately!
For a Bearnaise Sauce, add 2 teaspoons Freshly Chopped Tarragon and 1 Tablespoon of Fond Brown Meat Glaze to the Sauce, Stir Well and serve immediately. To create a fresh “Green Sauce”, add Chopped Herbs and finely Chopped Spinach. Always season well with Salt and taste before serving the sauce to see if it requires more Seasoning!