Beloved Foodies, what make this recipe so unique, is the ultra-moist feather-light texture of these little beauties. Follow the simple instructions, and you will achieve the same outcome in no time! This is a reliable, quick, easy recipe that freeze well for that unexpected guest or craving that need to be satisfied. I share this with confidence knowing that these Bananarama-Buddies will definitely become a staple in your home too!
1.5 c Stone Ground Flour (half Wholewheat, half Cake flour)
½ c Mixed Nuts, Chopped Fine
1.5 t Baking Powder
1 t Cinnamon
½ t Mixed Spice
½ t Salt
Freshly grated Nutmeg
Little bit of Cinnamon Sugar
2 Extra Large Free Range Eggs, Sit them in warm water for 5 minutes.
1 c Ripe Bananas, Mashed (I do mean seriously ripe, ok?)
½ c or 1 Medium Carrot, Finely Grated
¾ c Sugar (half Brown, half White Granulated)
½ c Seed or Nut Oil
¼ c Buttermilk (50ml Milk + 1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar)
1 t Vanilla Paste
Zest of one Lemon, Fine
1. Place the oven on 180◦C. Line a muffin tray with 12 inserts. Spray lightly.
2. Sift the Dry Ingredients. Set aside.
3. Beat the Eggs, Sugar, Vanilla Paste and Lemon Zest until pale, thick, and fluffy. This takes about 15 minutes.
4. Then, little bit by little bit while beating up a storm, pour a dash of oil into the egg foam while beating constantly. You need an electric beaten here to achieve this – we are making an ‘Emulsion’ by adding little bits of oil into the foamy eggs. This will take about 10 minutes.
5. Now, using a hand whisk, gently add all the ingredients and fold in until JUST COMBINED. Do not overmix or the muffins will become pointy like young volcanos!
6. Pour the batter into the muffin tins, sprinkle with Cinnamon Sugar and bake for 18-20 minutes (I have a hot oven, so I bake them for 18 minutes). For extra decadence, serve them with *Cream Cheese Frosting (*See Gateaux Master Class index).
7. Pile on the butter, have a cup of tea, and if there are any leftovers, wrap them individually and place them into the freezer with the date and specifications on the baggie.