We all know who warms up a girl’s heart on a cold Winter’s day…
For the Batter:
250ml Cake Flour
15ml Baking Powder
100ml Milk, Full Cream
1 Extra Large Egg, Free Range
5 ml Vanilla Extract
For the Port Stock:
600ml Water, Cold
100ml Port Wine
2 Tbsp Golden Syrup
2 Tbsp Cinnamon Sugar
3 Cardamom Seeds, Snipped at the End
Zest of 1 Lemon, Fine
1 Cinnamon Scroll
2 Tbsp Butter
1ml Vanilla Bean Powder
A Good Pinch of Salt
Lots of Cinnamon Sugar for Sprinkling (…is there ever enough?)
1. Place all the Port Stock Ingredients in a medium size pot and bring to a boil.
2. In the meantime, sift the Dry Ingredients and Rub the Butter into the Flour Mix.
3. Beat the Milk, Egg and Vanilla together. Add to the flour mixture and combine with a wooden spoon.
4. Take the Port Stock off the heat.
5. Gently but quickly place tablespoons of Dumpling Batter into the hot Stock.
6. Immediately close the lid and gently lift back onto the heat. Turn on the heat in full.
7. Stand by and watch the liquid reach boiling point. Then turn down the heat to the lowest setting.
8. The Dumplings will poach-steam for approximately 25-30 minutes.
9. Do not be tempted to open the lid as the Dumplings will stop rising and become flat and dense!
10. Once done, plate 2-3 dumplings in a pudding saucer. Pour over the Stock Syrup. Place nuts of butter over each dumpling. Now sprinkle with Cinnamon Sugar. Enjoy with a glass of Port!