500 ml Milk (or half Cream to Milk)
2 Extra Large Free Range Eggs, separated
2 Extra Large Egg Yolks
100 – 125 ml Castor Sugar (I prefer it not too sweet)
45 ml Flour (3 Tbsp)
10 ml (2t) Cornflour
½ Vanilla Pod, Scraped
Pinch of Salt (Optional)
- Cream the Yolks and Sugar. Add the Flours and a little Milk to make a smooth paste.
- Infuse the Milk and Vanilla together. Place a lid onto the pot and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Temper the Hot Milk over the Egg Mixture and combine until smooth. Strain to remove any Egg Membranes and to ensure a smooth consistency.
- Place on gentle heat while stirring constantly until thick and pale. Remove from the stove and place the lid on.
- Beat the Egg Whites until Stiff. Add a Spoon full of Warm Cream to the Egg Whites, whisk in and repeat the process until all the Egg Whites are combined with the Egg Custard.
- Return to the heat and gently cook while stirring to cook the Egg Whites for just a few minutes.
- Cool Completely to use for Fillings, Desserts or Piped Decorations.
- Add Citrus Zest, Orange Blossom Water, Rose Water or Liqueurs for a variation to the Classic Vanilla Base. Enrich with Butter or Whipped Cream for extra decadence!