1c Sunflower Oil (Neutral Tasting Oils)
2 Large Egg Yolks (*Pasteurised, See Instructions to Pasteurize Eggs)
1 t Dijion Mustard or Hot English Mustard
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper (Black Ground Pepper)
Squeeze of Lemon Juice (or a dash of Good Quality Vinegar)
½ Garlic Clove, Finely Chopped (*Optional)
Instructions to Pasteurize Eggs:
1. Pasteurize the Eggs before using them by placing Room Temperature Eggs into Cold Water and cover them completely.
2. Gently bring the water temperature to 60◦C.
3. You will notice bubbles breaking on the bottom of the pot – do not let the temperature exceed over 65◦C.
4. Keep the temperature on 60-61◦C for 3 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and immediately discard the boiling water and run cold water over the eggs until they are cold.
6. Dry and use for sauces, desserts or as enrichments.
- Combine the Pasteurized Egg Yolks, Mustard, Salt and Pepper with a whisk until creamy.
- Pour in the Oil and use a Stick Blender to *Emulsify the sauce into a thick, creamy consistency (that means bringing the Oil + Other Ingredients together into a Permanent Suspension that will not separate if the sauce is left to stand).
- Add a dash of Lemon Juice and if needed, more Seasoning.
- Your sauce is ready to use! Add freshly chopped Herbs, chopped Boiled Eggs, chopped Pickles, Caperberries or Pickled Onions for a variety of exciting Mayonnaise Based Sauce Variations.
- If using a whisk, add the Oil drop by drop while whisking constantly! Continue whisking until all the oil is incorporated and an Emulsion is achieved. Season and Flavour.
This Mayonnaise will keep for 3 days in the Refrigerator. Freezing is not recommended.