500ml Full Cream Milk (or half Cream to Milk)
4 Extra Large Free Range Eggs
90 ml Castor Sugar (6 Tbsp)
1.5t Arrowroot or Corn starch
½ Vanilla Pod, Scraped (Keep the other half to put in your Castor Sugar to make Vanilla Sugar)
- Combine the Milk and Vanilla Seeds. Gently heat the milk until hot but not boiling.
- Remove from the heat and place the lid on. Leave to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Cream the Yolks, Sugar and Arrowroot until combined and smooth.
- Temper the Hot Milk into the Egg Mixture slowly while stirring. Strain through a sieve to remove Egg membranes.
- Return to low heat and stir constantly until the custard stats to thicken covering the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from the heat and serve warm or cover with baking paper and allow to cool.